Meet the team members of Asthma and Allergy Associates of the New River Valley
Kristina Kwak MD, facaai
• Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Wright State University in Dayton, OH, 1993
• Doctor of Medicine, Wright State University School of Medicine, 1999
• Pediatric residency , Children’s Medical Center in Dayton,OH, 1999-2002
• Fellowship in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Children’s Mercy Hospital and Truman Medical Center with UMKC School of Medicine in Kansas City, MO,
• Board Certified in Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
• Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Wright State University School of Medicine,
2004 – 2006
• Assistant Professor and Clinical Faculty Member for Allergy & Immunology, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM), Blacksburg, VA, September 2006 – present
• Teaching Practitioner for Allergy & Immunology, Lewis-Gale Hospital – Montgomery (MRH)
September 2009 – present
• American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Fellow
Dr. Kris Kwak grew up in the suburbs of Dayton, Ohio. She attended Wright State University for both undergraduate studies and for medical school. She stayed in Dayton to complete her pediatric residency and then moved to Kansas City for 2 years to complete her fellowship training in the field of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. She briefly spent 2 years in a large allergy practice in Dayton before moving to Christiansburg in 2006 to join Dr. Zedalis at Allergy and Asthma Associates of Southwest Virginia. Dr. Kwak enjoys teaching medical students and residents in the field of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and was happy to find this wonderful community that also has a medical school.
Outside of work, Dr. Kwak enjoys spending time with her husband and three children. Her boys are members of the Christiansburg Blue Demon Wrestling team which keeps them quite busy throughout the year. She and her family enjoy spending time outdoors hiking and camping.
Debra J Massaro, DNP, NP-C
Debra Massaro spent a childhood of diverse cultural experiences, living both internationally and throughout the United States, due to her father’s Air Force career. During the 1980’s, she lived in Orlando, FL achieving vocational LPN training, and an Associate of Science. Then with encouragement of her surgeon husband, returned to schooling and worked as a Registered Nurse in Occupational Health. While raising children, she was employed as school nurse in Montgomery County, VA then continued on to become a Nurse Practitioner. Her work experience includes Geriatrics and Military Veteran Disabilities. Throughout her medical career, her main objective was to help, encourage, and teach patients.
Debra moved to Southwest Virginia in 1997 as a great outdoors place to live, enjoying the close-knit community feel of Giles County. Her interests include hiking, gardening, and hosting gatherings to enjoy the company of friends and family.
Debra’s Education Includes:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL, 1990
Doctor of Nursing Practice, Radford University, in Radford, VA, 2016
Certification as Family Nurse Practitioner with American Academy of Nurse Practitioners